Člověk v tísni, o. p. s.
120 00 Praha 2
Junior Desk Officer for Syria and Iraq
Position: Junior Desk Officer for Syria and Iraq
Contract Length: 1 year with possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria/Iraq
Base: Prague, Czech Republic
Line Manager: Desk Officer for Syria and Iraq
About the Syria and Iraq Country Programme of People in Need:
PIN has been providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities in Iraq since 2003 and in Syria since the beginning of the humanitarian crisis in 2012. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in both countries focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, Protection, Shelter, Education, Early Recovery and Livelihood activities.
In Syria PIN´s contribution to the humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million, engaging more than 400 full-time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
In Iraq, PIN is in the process of reviewing and developing new Country Programme strategy targeting several geographical areas and approaching existing and potential institutional donors to support new sectors with innovative initiatives, such as climate change and renewable energies, aimed at contributing to a more sustainable development of the community.
About the role:
Junior Desk Officer (JDO) supports the work of the Desk Officer (DO) in her/his programme related activities (per request) and provides support to the country programme. JDO keeps a track record of country projects and programmes, and helps with the submission of proposals, reports and amendments (including via electronic systems). JDO represents together with the DO People in Need (PIN) and country programme externally with Czech donors and in relevant fora. JDO tasks include capacity building of newly hired expatriate staff.
This position should prepare the JDO for future work in country programmes. Therefore, the JDO line manager and HR department should strive to build the capabilities of the JDO by progressively increasing her/his responsibilities.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- The JDO drafts and submits proposals and reports on: SOS public collections, Club of Friends, Real Aid and Real Gift, Pinnovation
- Czech Private Donors (upon request from Fundraising department)
- the JDO with the technical support from DO and relevant CP colleagues drafts and submits proposals and bi-annual and annual reports to Czech Donors;
- the JDO collects information on Internal Project Reports (IPRs) based on the project stage: supports grants department with completion of IPRs, HRP;
- helps with capacity building of new expatriate staff (general induction, including introduction of roles and responsibilities of RDD Departments and Syraq Desk, ELO, International Staff Manual and any other training as required);
- supports the DO in cooperation with PIN Knowledge & Learning (K&L) department (KLD support request table, webinar/updates information sharing with the CP, etc.);
- in cooperation with DO and grants department ensures archiving of proposals, reports and communication between HQ, donors and country programmes is in place;
- ensures ELO approval of all PIN contracts with donors and makes sure the contracts are properly archived;
- keeps (updated) track records and country specific overviews on ELO;
- JDO becomes familiar with all the on-going grants and reporting requirements;
- JDO keeps a track record of country projects and programmes, and helps with the submission of proposals, reports and amendments (including via electronic systems);
Project Preparatory Phase
- The JDO provides support during the preparation of a concept note or project proposal process in case of Czech donors and other if relevant/requested by the CP/DO;
- Coordinates with compliance department and checks the condition and eligibility of the proposals;
- starts a concept note/project proposal approval (project folders created and maintained) and oversees the donor contract approval processes and workflow;
- prepares administrative documentation and / or other relevant admin / programme annexes for project proposals/modifications;
- helps with proofreading and translations of project proposals and budgets for Czech donors, and makes sure that all proposals and budgets are properly approved by the RDD management and formally correct.
- Checks that project documentation is properly archived and projects are properly closed including “project memory” or archiving check (shared task with DO);
- drafts or edits and proofreads (and translates if needed) reports and budgets for Czech donors (CDA, MFA), and ensures that all reports are properly archived.
Representation, Fundraising & external Relations
- Focal point for Czech donors (unless all the communication is with the DO);
- helps with the presentation of country programme and provides inputs to PIN’s annual report and for print media and social media communication products;
- supports regular updating of PIN website about the country programme;
Human Resources & Capacity Development
- Helps with capacity building of new expatriate staff (general induction, including introduction of roles and responsibilities of RDD Departments and Syria Desk, ELO, International Staff Manual and any other training as required).
- In cooperation with FDO and DO, completes internal and private fundraising related budgets at HQ (allocations for Real Gift/Real Aid);
- compiles requests for funding from private sources and ensures implementation is in line with these requests;
Finance Management Safety & Security
- If needed, supports the Regional Administrator handling sudden emergency situations related to expat movement;
- Participates and takes notes on SYR/IRQ CMT (Core Management Team) Meetings;
- Approves IRQ contracts, field invoices etc. in ELO;
- Experience with a project management;
- At least 1-year experience with humanitarian or development projects;
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with different groups of people and respect their different cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to strengthen relationships with partners and donors in the Czech Republic and abroad;
- Excellent knowledge of English;
- Ability to organize your work independently and approach things positively even in situations where job requests are rapidly developing;
- Proactivity, analytical thinking, ability to quickly learn the organization’s internal processes;
- Background and professionalism of the largest Czech non-governmental organization
- Interesting and creative work with international reach
- PIN supports professional and personal development
- Salary according to the PIN salary scale (32,000– 35,000 CZK)
- 25 days of annual leave and Sick days
- Home office upon agreement
- Laptop and mobile phone with the company tariff
- Child day care for employees´ children (kindergarten in the building of our office in Prague)
- Open and informal organizational culture
- Multisport card for sports and recreation in Czech Republic
- Possibility to participate in interesting events we organize (e.g. One World international film festival)
- Friendly colleagues with similar values
- PIN covers costs related to traveling abroad such as flights, accommodation, medical check-ups, vaccinations, travel insurance etc. (if relevant)
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Great. Send us your CV and short cover letter via application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).
Informace o pozici
- Člověk v tísni, o.p.s.
- Šafaříkova 635/24, Praha – Vinohrady
- Požadované vzdělání: Bakalářské
- Požadované jazyky: Angličtina (Pokročilá)
- Benefity: Mobilní telefon, Notebook, Flexibilní začátek/konec pracovní doby, Dovolená 5 týdnů, Vzdělávací kurzy, školení, Občerstvení na pracovišti, Příspěvek na sport/kulturu/volný čas, Zdravotní volno/sickdays, Možnost občasné práce z domova, Firemní akce, Dog-friendly office
- Zařazeno: Administrativa, Administrativní pracovník
- Typ pracovního poměru
- Typ pracovního poměru: Práce na plný úvazek
- Typ smluvního vztahu
- Typ smluvního vztahu: pracovní smlouva
- Zadavatel: Nezisková organizace