CEE Bankwatch Network campaigns to prevent environmentally and socially harmful impacts of international development finance, and to promote alternative solutions and public participation. It unites 16 member groups in 14 countries in Central and Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Russia. Our headquarters are located in Prague, Czech Republic, but our staff is based in offices across the region. We work with partner organisations ranging from Africa to Central Asia, monitoring public finance projects and promoting environmentally, socially and economically sustainable alternatives. Our diverse staff and its expertise enable Bankwatch to work on a wide range of issues ranging from air pollution to land rights and EU decision-making. Please see bankwatch.org for more information.
EU Heating sector decarbonisation campaigner
Deadline: July 14th 2021 (start date 1st September)
Based in: Central Eastern Europe
The campaigner will work as a member of a team working to deliver Bankwatch's vision and strategy on climate and energy, and working closely with Europe Beyond Coal. In particular this position will focus on Bankwatch's work towards a fossil-fuel free Europe, with a focus on district heating in EU. The goal is to prevent the expansion or lifetime extension of fossil fuels-based district heating and to make well-justified proposals for sustainable heating sector alternatives.
Bankwatch has been a leading organisation in the campaign against coal in southeast Europe, tackling new coal infrastructure lock-in, as well as compliance of existing coal with the latest standards on air pollution. We campaign against coal with member groups and partners inside and outside the EU, and work closely with key NGO allies in Brussels and at the national level.
- Co-facilitation of Europe Beyond Coal working group on combining heat and power, prepare agendas, convene and log meetings on a regular basis and support the development of the CHP group strategy.
- Monitoring relevant processes on national, EU and international level and the creation of strategic documents for the CHP group, with input from the members, and monitoring of implementation. Development of joint positions, commenting on relevant EU legislation, and development of joint comms strategy.
- Support Bankwatch group, in monitoring, publicising and campaigning on cases of fossil fuels-related district heating projects and promote sustainable decarbonisation of the heating sector;;
- Contribute to annual planning, budgeting, and fundraising for work on fossil fuels, in particular, related to district heating;
- Produce press releases and communication materials like briefings, reports, studies, blog articles, op-eds and social media content, in close cooperation with Bankwatch communications team;
- Represent Bankwatch externally, including to the media and at external events;
- Maintain an overview of the key relevant research, events and policy developments;
- The campaigner will report to and be task managed by Fossil Fuel Area Leader
- Strong commitment to the values, vision and mission of CEE Bankwatch Network.
- At least three years' experience in working with an NGO at regional or international level, including advocacy work and campaigning on energy and/or climate issues.
- Ability to present in-depth proposals for sustainable alternatives in the energy sector.
- Experience in managing campaigns including the various responsibilities involved (such as fundraising, research, planning, lobbying, communications), and proven ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Experience in dealing with stakeholders from different backgrounds, including at high level.
- Experience in project management.
- Good understanding of European energy and/or climate policy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Motivation to exchange with and learn from colleagues and a pro-active but sensitive and fair approach to colleagues and partners.
- Creativity: able to think outside the box and find new ways to campaign.
- Flexibility: able to attend evening/weekend meetings and undertake travel.
The position is based in one of the Bankwatch or member group offices in Central-Eastern Europe.
We offer a one-year contract for the position. Dependent on funding, we intend to continue the post beyond the 12-month period.
Bankwatch strives to provide equal opportunities to all applicants. You'll be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, skin colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability status.
To apply, click on the REPLY at the bottom of the page. Send us your motivation letter, including a CV, by midnight July 14, 2021.
Interviews are scheduled for the third week of July.
Information about position
- CEE Bankwatch Network z. s.
- Heřmanova 1088/8, Praha – Holešovice
- Required education: Education is not important
- Required languages: English (Advanced)
- Benefits: Notebook, Flexible start/end of working hours, Holidays 5 weeks, Education allowance, Occasional work from home, Individual schedules of working hours, Opportunity to work up hours, International conferences
- Listed in: Media, advertising, and PR, Agriculture, forestry, and ecology, Ecologist, Project Manager
- Employment form
- Employment form: Full-time work
- Contract duration
- Contract duration: Limited (temporary)
- Employer type: Non-profit organization
Heřmanova 1088/8, 17000 Praha 7 – Holešovice, Česká republika