We’re looking for a Senior Data Science Engineer to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
For more information about Blackboard Inc. and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
We are building up a new group within Blackboard focused on enterprise data services. This team’s mission is to bring data together from across Blackboard’s extensive product lines into our cloud-based data lake. We are the analytics and data experts at Blackboard. Our team enables other development teams to strategically and effectively utilize the data lake for a variety of Blackboard products. We deliver products and services for analytics, data science, business intelligence, and reporting.
As Senior Data Science Engineer, Data Services, you will use your strong foundation in research and devise innovative statistical models for data analysis, identifying and integrating new datasets that can be leveraged through our product capabilities and work closely with the engineering team to strategize and execute the development of data products, identify relevant data sources and sets to mine for client business needs, and collect large structured and unstructured datasets and variables, analyze data for trends and patterns, and interpret data with a clear objective in mind as well as your strong problem-solving skills, analytical thinking skills, and written and oral communication skills to succeed in this role.
Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Learning quickly and developing creative solutions that encompass performance, reliability, maintainability, and security
- Applying hands-on technical design and implementation solutions using Python, SQL, and other components to support Blackboard products that utilize an expansive data lake
- Working with the development manager, product manager, and engineering team on projects related to system research, product design, product development, and defect resolution
- Being willing to respond to the unique challenges of delivering and maintaining cloud-based software
- Working with other engineering personnel to ensure consistency among products
- Thriving in the face of difficult and complex problems
- 4+ years of industry experience in applying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Quantitative Master’s degree, such as Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Background in mathematics, statistics, and probability theory
- Experience with Machine Learning (classification, big data processing, clustering, predictive modeling)
- Expert knowledge of a scripting language (e.g. Python) and object-oriented language (e.g. C++, Java)
- Proficiency in the development, validation, implementation, and production launch of statistical algorithms and models
- Passion for implementing coding best practices across a team
- A deep appreciation for the diversity of thought and a proponent for collaborative solutions
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and solutions at a level appropriate for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with big data: extraction, processing, filtering, and presenting large data quantities via AWS technologies, SQL, Python, and data pipelines
- Advanced pattern recognition and predictive modeling experience
- Proficiency in data mining, mathematics, and statistical analysis
- Previous experience in the education industry and with e-learning technologies
- Experience with Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, Blackboard positions are currently remote (where possible).
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Informace o pozici
- Blackboard Czech s.r.o.
- Kotlářská 989/51a, Brno – Veveří
- Required education: Bachelor's
- Required languages: English (Advanced)
- Salary: 70 000 – 105 000 CZK / month
- Benefits: Contribution holiday, Notebook, Contributions to the pension / life insurance, Meal tickets / catering allowance, Holidays 5 weeks, Educational courses, training, Refreshments on workplace, Contribution to sport / culture / leisure, Sick days, Occasional work from home, Work mostly from home, Self-organization of the job
- Listed in: IS/IT: Consultations, analyses, and project management, IS/IT: System and HW administration, IS/IT: Application and system development
- Employment form
- Employment form: Full-time work
- Contract duration
- Contract duration: Permanent
- Employment contract
- Employment contract: employment contract
- Employer type: Employer
Also suitable for parents on maternity and parental leave.
+420 605 250 586