About the Team
Future is a tech enabled global specialist media business with a large proportion of our business operation online. Our proprietary tech stack is what allows us to win in this space. You may know some of our brands.
Our business is complex and that means there are always complex technology challenges for our Tech & Engineering team to solve!
The core parts of the the tech stack comprise of:
- Platform: Vanilla - our single modular web platform enables the current 26 brands to exist and their respective content to reach circa 260m users a month; Incorporated in Vanilla is a single content management system with internationalisation and semantic analysis of content capabilities;
- Ecommerce: Hawk - our ecommerce service enables the monetisation of our content through product affiliates; Hawk connects with 2100 affiliates merchants and process 280m product offers daily, matching against our content at a rate of 2000 requests per second;
- Advertising: Hybrid - our advertising system enables the delivery of 13.8bn open auction programmatic advertising a year. It is a server side open auction marketplace dealing with yield management
- Email: Smartbrief - our email tech supports the creation and distribution of email newsletter with targeted and pacing of advertising within. Annually, the email tech delivers circa 1.2bn emails;
- Intent Marketing: technology being built from the ground up to support a new business objective;
- Magazine: Source - our content commissioning portal for magazines and Studio is the flatplanning systems for building magazines.
As a Java Developer you contribute to one or several of our core web-platform server side components development and integration. That includes responsibility for designing, implementing and deploying new features, as well as improving and refactoring existing code or supporting the existing live platform.
- Developing and maintaining the platform in a collective code ownership approach
- Refactoring legacy code, developing code coverage
- Participating in the deployment process
- Working together with the team for planning, design decisions and solution implementation
What do I need to succeed?
- Passion about building complex software systems with a mix of technologies and solutions
- Strong experience (5+ years) in developing high-performance service-oriented software, ideally in a cloud environment
- Firm believer in clean code principles and automated testing
- Familiar with continuous integration environments using tools such as Jenkins, Gitlab CI/CD, Junit, Cucumber or else.
- Like working as a team; previous experience in Agile environment and team responsibility
- Good english communication skills, ability to collaborate locally and remotely
- Ability to work on a UNIX-like system and command-line
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Java 8 or later, Spring
- Containerisation, Docker
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- We offer structured career development to all of our people ensuring they have the skills and experience to grow. Our CTO, Kevin Li Ying joined us as a Programmer!
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Annual Future conference - get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what's next
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives. Together, we connect people to their passions through the high-quality content we create and the innovative technology we pioneer. It’s an incredibly exciting time to join!
Future is the name behind market-leading brands in specialist sectors across technology, gaming & entertainment, music, creative & photography, hobbies, knowledge and home interest.
We’re dedicated to creating loyal fans of our brands, and the number is growing all the time. Our global reach is phenomenal with over 250 million consumers across 180 + world-leading brands. It’s an incredible privilege to have such a passionate audience base across our websites, magazines, social media and events.
Every kind of talent is celebrated here. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter via the 'Apply' button explaining why this is your dream job!
Inclusion & Diversity
At Future we are passionate about ensuring that as a business, we are continuing to promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do.
Future is an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values which will continue to ensure that all applicants, current and future employees are treated with respect and fairness.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers
Informace o pozici
- Future plc.
- Required education: University
- Listed in: IS/IT: Application and system development, Publishing, press, and printing, Programmer, Java developer, PHP developer, Python developer
- Employment form
- Employment form: Full-time work
- Contract duration
- Contract duration: Permanent
- Employer type: Employer