WORK ABROAD AS PSYCHIATRIST/ PSYCHOLOGIST FOR NGO
Have you ever thought of doing a challenging job abroad? Would you like to use your professional skills to improve somebody’s life? Are you willing to leave your family for several months to go and work in a developing country? Do you sympathize with the causes of MSF?
If you answered “yes” to at least one of these questions, read further!
With ongoing conflicts around the world as well as the occurrence of natural disasters, the need for mental health professionals with experience in dealing with trauma has increased in MSF projects.
The main task of mental health professionals during their mission with MSF is training local specialists in crisis intervention and psycho-social first aid. Together with the local staff, they attempt to help victims come to terms with traumatic experiences after war and displacement or deportation, by means of counseling, modeling, and art therapy, as well as through occupational therapy.
Examples of tasks that a psychologist would be involved in at the field level include:
• Define the orientation and content of therapeutic activities and work on the sustainability of psycho-social programs.
• Supervise the work of national psychologists, psycho-social workers, and national counsellors in the mental health centres (MHC) in the field.
• Co-ordinate with the national psychologist the psycho-education component (including training, material used, and development of material).
• Supervise the national psychologist in workshops and group activities developed on specific topics (i.e., conflict resolution) in the community.
• Ensure national psychologists adhere to the charter of professional ethics (relating to confidentiality, appropriate sexual behavior, etc).
• Through the development of the activities be aware of identifying specific issues that may need to be addressed, and areas where collaboration with the medical team may be important (i.e., reproductive health).
• Assist national psychologists, psycho-social workers, and national counsellors in the MHC and provide them with training through clinical supervision, seminars, workshops, etc.
• Facilitate case studies discussion with the psychologists in the field.
• Implement and monitor the use of psychotropic drugs for the severe cases that we encounter.
• Facilitate/organize the collection of data, its analysis and inclusion in monthly reports.
· Completed specialization (for psychologists, a completed degree in clinical psychology)
· Experience with PTSD trauma therapy is a must
· International and multi-cultural experience
· Available for a mission of 6 to 9 months
· Very good knowledge of English essential, other languages (in particular French) are a major advantage
· Working contract for the duration of the assignment with a monthly gross salary of 1,050 EUR
· Demanding but also very rewarding work
· Working as part of a multicultural team
· Coverage of all mission-related costs (travel, accommodation, insurance)
· Professional and personal enrichment
1. Attendance at an information evening where you can learn more about the organization and its work, and speak with experienced field personnel regarding the roles in the field. You may then submit your application.
2. If your application passes the initial screening, we will then check your professional/technical qualifications.
3. All candidates must then take part in an interview and assessment in our Vienna office.
Lékaři bez hranic/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, exclusion from healthcare and natural disasters. MSF operates in almost 70 countries worldwide with almost 3,000 international and 31,000 national staff in the field. In 1999 MSF was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
If you are interested in working for MSF, please sign up for the information evening/online webinar on http://www.lekari-bez-hranic.cz/cz/informacni-vecery.
For further information please contact us by phone +420 257 090 155 or visit our website at www.lekari-bez-hranic.cz/cz/prace-v-terenu.
Informace o pozici
- Lékaři bez hranic
- Required education: University
- Required languages: English (Advanced)
- Salary: 1 040 – 1 700 EUR / month
- Listed in: Training and education, Health and social care, Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Special pedagogue, General practitioner
- Employment form
- Employment form: Full-time work
- Contract duration
- Contract duration: Limited (temporary)
- Employment contract
- Employment contract: employment contract
- Employer type: Nezisková organizace
Seifertova 555/47, 13000 Praha – Žižkov, Česká republika
257 090 155