Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is an international news organization headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic and Washington, D.C., with 21 bureaus throughout Russia, Central Asia, Afghanistan, and Central and Eastern Europe. Reporting in 27 languages across 23 countries, RFE/RL is one of the most comprehensive news operations in the world, providing responsibly reported, fact-based news in countries where media freedoms are under threat or banned outright. From Iran and Pakistan to Hungary, Ukraine, and Azerbaijan, RFE/RL journalists give audiences what they can't always get from their own local media: uncensored information and open debate. Reporting via digital, TV, and radio platforms, RFE/RL has a measured weekly reach of 38.1 million people. A private nonprofit, RFE/RL is funded by the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media. RFE/RL's editorial independence is protected by U.S. law.
Commissioning Editor, Votvot
Votvot is an ambitious, exciting new Russian language, video on demand platform from Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty.
Votvot is designed to expand RFE/RL’s audience reach through enhancements to our signature news and information programming. With an emphasis on topical, cultural programming, especially from artists in exile, Votvot will operate at the intersections of real life, world events, and spotlight the people, artists and content creators whose work should be illuminated, not censored or banished.
The RFE/RL team is searching for a Commissioning Editor who will drive the commissioning and acquisition of relevant content for RFE/RL’s new Russian language on demand video platform. Ideally this candidate will sit in our Riga office, but it is possible to work from any bureau where RFE/RL operates. You will be responsible for building a strong network of professionals working in the streaming, video on demand and documentary marketplaces. This individual will take the lead for working with independent production companies, producers and content providers, ensuring secure, high quality content for the platform. There will be many opportunities to work alongside RFE/RL in-house production units and different language services to develop valuable content. You will work closely with and report to the Director of Votvot.
What you’ll accomplish:
● Work closely with the Director of Votvot to set the programming strategy and the development plan
● Commission and secure the acquisition of programs, series and documentary films according to our strategy and development plan
● Display strong intercultural competency so as to spotlight voices from cultural communities who risk being silenced by censors/authoritative regimes
● Participate in developing marketing strategies for commissioned and acquired programs and films
● Cultivate strong partnerships with content providers, film producers, TV-markets, film festivals and institutions in charge of cultural programming and documentary films
● Manage acquisition and commissioning contracts and licensing programs for Russian speaking audiences
● Prepare commissioned and acquired content for platform distribution
What you bring:
● 8+ years of experience working in the media field; 5+ years in distribution, acquisition, commissioning and production
● Undergraduate degree in Business, Finance, Communications or a related field or the equivalent in experience
● Good working knowledge of the OTT/Video on Demand marketplaces
● Experience in acquiring content for media organization
● Sound editorial judgment and ability to apply editorial guidelines to content creation
● Acute understanding of the acquisitions processes worldwide markets, particularly for documentary films
● Willing to take the lead on original program development and producer oversight
● Knowledge of legal licensing requirements for both original development and program acquisition
● Excellent contract negotiation skills
● Ability to manage budgets, timelines and projects
● Confident in high pressure situations and upholds the highest professional standards
● Ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders in both commercial and creative contacts at different levels
● Native Russian speaker
● Proficient English speaker
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Positions at RFE/RL are considered Public Trust Positions, with appointment contingent upon the positive outcome of a background investigation.
Informace o pozici
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty - Rádio Svobodná Evropa, Inc.
- Required education: University
- Required languages: Russian (Proficient), English (Proficient)
- Listed in: Media, advertising, and PR
- Employment form
- Employment form: Full-time work
- Employer type: Employer