Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is an international news organization headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic and Washington, D.C., with 21 bureaus throughout Russia, Central Asia, Afghanistan, and Central and Eastern Europe. Reporting in 27 languages across 23 countries, RFE/RL is one of the most comprehensive news operations in the world, providing responsibly reported, fact-based news in countries where media freedoms are under threat or banned outright. From Iran and Pakistan to Hungary, Ukraine, and Azerbaijan, RFE/RL journalists give audiences what they can't always get from their own local media: uncensored information and open debate. Reporting via digital, TV, and radio platforms, RFE/RL has a measured weekly reach of 38.1 million people. A private nonprofit, RFE/RL is funded by the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media. RFE/RL's editorial independence is protected by U.S. law.
Director of New Digital Service
We are looking to hire a Director of our New Digital Service called Votvot. Votvot is an ambitious, exciting new Russian language, video on demand platform from Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty.
Votvot is designed to expand RFE/RL’s audience reach through enhancements to our signature news and information programming. With an emphasis on topical, cultural programming, especially from artists in exile, Votvot will operate at the intersections of real life/ world events / and spotlight the people, artists and content creators whose work should be illuminated, not censored or banished.
This is a unique career opportunity for English and Russian speaking streaming service professionals with strong strategic vision, world-class leadership skills and customer-oriented approach.
WHAT DOES THE ROLE ENTAIL?
Based in Riga or Prague and reporting to RFE/RL’s Head of News, the Director of New Digital Service is responsible for the strategic and operations leadership of the streaming/on demand platform and related distribution channels.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and articulate a goals-oriented, strategic vision for Votvot
- Help recruit and grow a team of high-level managers to facilitate world-class operations
- Direct oversight of the programming and product development managers
- Working closely with RFE/RL leadership to develop Votvot short-term and long-term strategic plan: establishing & meeting goals
- Working closely with RFE/RL management to help formulate and drive sound business plans: budgeting & staffing plans
- Acting as the primary point of contact between the venture and RFE/RL’s External Affairs, HR, Legal & Finance teams to ensure cohesive, respectful operations within the entities
- Provide constructive feedbacks on video/audio/text-based productions
- Always operating with respect for and an adherence to RFE/RL’s stated missions & strategic plans
ARE YOU THE RIGHT CANDIDATE?
The successful candidate will have:
- A deep understanding of and respect for RFE/RL’s public service mission
- 8 + years experience within the communications profession with a minimum of five-years specialized experience in the OTT/Video on Demand marketplaces
- Open-minded and customer-oriented visionary approach: adept at business agility, with a deep understanding of the trends, technologies in the related marketplaces
- Proven management experience working with large, multination teams, as well as demonstrated, strong leadership skills.
- A well-earned reputation for respectful, inclusive management and industry-leadership
- Budgeting & Strategic Planning experience
- Journalism experience is a plus
Russian and English language fluency is mandatory.
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Positions at RFE/RL are considered Public Trust Positions, with appointment contingent upon the positive outcome of a background investigation.
A complete list of responsibilities and qualifications can be found in the job description published at RFE/RL website: https://www.rferl.org/jobs/detail/MAFN179-2201.html
Only CVs and cover letters in English will be accepted.
To learn more about us please refer to our web page: https://pressroom.rferl.org/about-us
Informace o pozici
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty - Rádio Svobodná Evropa, Inc.
- Vinohradská 3333/159a, Praha – Strašnice
- Required education: University
- Required languages: English (Proficient), Russian (Proficient)
- Listed in: Media, advertising, and PR
- Employment form
- Employment form: Full-time work
- Employer type: Employer