Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is an international news organization headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic and Washington, D.C., with 21 bureaus throughout Russia, Central Asia, Afghanistan, and Central and Eastern Europe. Reporting in 27 languages across 23 countries, RFE/RL is one of the most comprehensive news operations in the world, providing responsibly reported, fact-based news in countries where media freedoms are under threat or banned outright. From Iran and Pakistan to Hungary, Ukraine, and Azerbaijan, RFE/RL journalists give audiences what they can't always get from their own local media: uncensored information and open debate. Reporting via digital, TV, and radio platforms, RFE/RL has a measured weekly reach of 38.1 million people. A private nonprofit, RFE/RL is funded by the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media. RFE/RL's editorial independence is protected by U.S. law.
Associate Photo Editor
We are looking for a talented Associate Photo Editor. In this position you will be is responsible for selecting photos and responding to Language Service and Central Newsrooms requests for images suitable for news and feature stories. You must be able to make regular pitches for photo galleries based on agency or Language Service images and prepare approved pitches for editing and publication. The Associate Photo Editor monitors images, captioning, and crediting quality in RFE/RL’s Media Databases to optimize search and retrieval capabilities. He/she will ensure that copyright laws are observed across RFE/RL platforms. The Associate Photo Editor will seek permissions as needed for images via social media. The incumbent will be expected to be involved in daily editorial decisions, giving guidance on how to use visual material to tell that day's news. The Associate Photo Editor is responsible for ensuring that photographs are well organized in RFE/RL's photo database and also work with Pangea CMS on improving functionality. He/she will provide support for all users of contracted photo agencies and handle training as necessary. The Associate Photo Editor will act as a point of contact for outside journalists regarding RFE/RL images. He/she helps makes sure that the best possible images are used for stories on RFE/RL’s English-language site.
• Selects images from photo agencies and language services for coverage of the daily news on RFE/RL platforms
• Writes, edits, corrects metadata across media databases; maintains quality assurance of metadata and media assets.
• Monitors photo databases for potential copyright violations to protect the company from significant legal issues.
• Works with Central Newsroom correspondents and editors to find images that best illustrate the subjects of their reports.
• Sources appropriate pictures and images for assigned projects and undertakes relevant research.
• Pitch and prepare photo galleries for publication
• Performs photo editing and image quality optimization.
• Assists with translations
• Trains RFE/RL staff on applicable aspects of photo copyright and licensing rules.
• Work with outside journalists on photo-related projects.
• Maintains and monitors photo content on USAGM Direct website for access by outside media companies.
• Regularly works to improve Photo Desk workflow and interactions with Pangea.
• Bachelor degree in Communications, Library or Information Science, Graphic Design, or related field, mandatory.
• Relevant training as an image editor, or image archivist or librarian.
• Knowledge of digital photo editing, mandatory.
• Minimum of three years’ experience with media (image, video, audio) databases, catalogs, or libraries.
• Demonstrated knowledge of descriptive metadata for digital media and file management.
• Basic-to-intermediate knowledge of rights management, intellectual property, and copyright for digital media.
• Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy in record keeping, mandatory.
• Knowledge and familiarity with RFERL’s coverage areas and subject matter, preferred.
• Ability to communicate with people effectively and work within a team, mandatory.
• Ability to learn complex subjects quickly including new technologies, mandatory.
• Ability to work independently and to also accept supervision, mandatory.
• Experience with video editing, preferred.
• Strong customer service orientation and knowledge of user needs, mandatory.
• Willingness to work flexible hours, evening shifts, and weekends, mandatory.
• English language (Proficient), mandatory.
• Broadcast region language, desirable.
Informace o pozici
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty - Rádio Svobodná Evropa, Inc.
- Vinohradská 3333/159a, Praha – Strašnice
- Required education: Bachelor's
- Required languages: English (Advanced)
- Benefits: Above-standard medical care, Contributions to the pension / life insurance, Transport allowance, Meal tickets / catering allowance, Educational courses, training, Company catering, Refreshments on workplace, Contribution to sport / culture / leisure, Sick days, International conferences
- Listed in: Culture, art, and creative work, Media, advertising, and PR, Photographer, Editor
- Employment form
- Employment form: Full-time work
- Contract duration
- Contract duration: Limited (temporary)
- Employment contract
- Employment contract: employment contract
- Employer type: Employer
Also suitable for graduates.